For those of you are running the London Marathon 2018, Sports Massage Therapist Naomi Johns and Physiotherapist David Silver share their key tips on getting through the race.
- Have breakfast. Eat at least 2 hours before the start. Porridge, bananas and coffee are our favourites but don’t try anything new.
- Get to the start early. But don’t get cold. Take a dustbin bag or old top to keep you warm.
- Be comfortable.Wear runners you’ve trained in and avoid wearing anything brand new.
DURING THE RACE
- Pace yourself. Run at a steady pace until at least the half way mark. Conserve your energy for the last and hardest miles. You’ll be glad you did!
- Listen to your feet. Are they heavy on the ground? Lighter steps mean less impact. So imagine a helium balloon on the top of your head lifting and opening your shoulders.
- Remember to breathe. Steady breathing allows you to conserve energy and gets oxygen where it needs to go.
- Stay hydrated. Alternate water with sports drinks. Too much water depletes cells of essential vitamins, minerals and salts. The body views sports drinks as food, which doesn’t dilute the tissues.
- Occupy your mind. Sing songs from beginning to end or anything else to keep your mind off any discomfort. By the final few miles, it really is a case of mind over matter, so talk yourself through those last miles and just keep going!
- Enjoy it. Relish every moment of the race. This is the time to savour all your hard training!
- Don’t just stop! Once you’re over that finish line walk around for ten minutes to bring your heart rate down and avoid stiffness. Eat and drink something soon after you finish.
Special Offers at our Sports Clinic, Richmond for London Marathon Runners
As the cheers fade, your feelings of elation can begin to give way to soreness and fatigue. So, why not book an appointment to soothe your aching muscles after race day and boost your recovery.
15% off a Marathon Recovery Massage*
Speed up your post-marathon recovery, prevent injury and relieve tired, tense muscles with an expert sports massage at The Forge Clinic.
15% off one Running Injury Treatment Session*
If you are experiencing pain or discomfort in the days after the race or suspect you might have injured yourself, book an appointment to see one of our sports therapists as soon as possible. Our qualified osteopaths, physiotherapists and chiropractor specialise in treating injuries experienced by runners and will guide you through your recovery.
BOOK YOUR APPOINTMENT NOW
*DISCOUNT OFFER TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- This offer is redeemable up until 7th May 2018.
- Proof of running London Marathon required.
- Subject to availability and not valid with any other offer, treatment plan or discount.
- Mention offer when booking.